The contents of this course include five recorded presentations from the ACI 2023 Spring Convention.
• Major Revisions to ACI 350 Code & Commentary, by M Reza Kianoush, Ryerson University
• Temperature and Shrinkage Reinforcement in Environmental Structures, by Lisa Giroux, Hazen and Sawyer
• Durability Considerations of Environmental Structures, by Kevin Monroe, Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts
• Seismic Analysis and Design of Liquid-Containing Concrete Structures, by John Tehaney, Stantec Consulting, Inc
• ACI 350-20 Temperature and Shrinkage Provisions on Two-Way Flat Plate Tank Roofs Case Study, by Daniel McCarthy, PRELOAD, LLC
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.2 CEU (equivalent to 2.0 PDH).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.2 CEU (2.0 PDH)
Approved by AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
This course will contain important design considerations for environmental structures that are used for conveying, storing, or treating liquid or solid waste. Presenters will discuss latest updates in ACI 350-20, and how this will influence general design and specific conditions such as durability, structural design and detailing, temperature, and shrinkage reinforcement and seismic. We will also review how ACI 350-20 differs from ACI 301 and ACI 318.
Author: Kianoush, Giroux, Monroe, Tehaney, McCarthy
Publication Year: 2023
Categories: Codes, Construction Practices, Design, Environmental
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
1. Identify and explain some major changes in ACI 350-20 relative to previous ACI 350-06 code, including new chapter on jointing, addition of shotcreting, revisions to strength reduction factors and more.
2. Explain advancements of ACI 350-20 with regards to minimum temperature and shrinkage reinforcement that deals with controlling additional potential for cracking based on different restraint stresses found in liquid containment structures.
3. Describe changes to durability requirements in designing liquid containing tanks to help resist sulfate attack, chloride exposure, and freeze-thaw exposure, and how they impact concrete mixtures.
4. Recall updates to ACI 350.3-20 with regards to seismic design performance with respect to response modification factors (R-values) based on type of tank structure, and updates to the importance factors (I values).
5. Discuss how to achieve the design objectives through appropriate design, detailing and construction practice through a case study of large diameter flat tank roof structure.
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).