Coming July 2021
CO-SPONSORED BY THE PCA EDUCATION FOUNDATION AND THE ACI FOUNDATION
Plans are underway for the 2021 Professors' Workshop. The format and agenda will be similar to last year's event. The 2020 Professors’ Workshop was held as a virtual event over three half days. The program provided instructors in civil engineering, architecture, architectural engineering, materials science, and construction management programs the latest resources to assist in teaching undergraduate courses in structural concrete design, concrete materials, and pavements.
Prominent, nationally known faculty and industry representatives presented information and resources to assist professors in preparing or fine-tuning their concrete-related courses. While the primary focus of the workshop is to provide the resources for teaching, several interactive sessions were held to explore the role of online teaching in concrete-related courses for undergraduates.
In the Spring 2020 semester, the Covid-19 pandemic resulted in an unexpected mid-semester shift from face-to-face to fully online delivery of most courses. Many universities required that courses be taught either fully or partially online in the Fall 2020 semester. Several interactive workshop sessions were planned that allowed participants to explore ideas for improving the online delivery of their concrete courses. Participants were asked to bring their experiences in teaching online to these sessions for sharing, discussing, and developing ideas for engaging students in the virtual classroom. Results of the breakout sessions were distributed to the workshop participants. Attendees received a certificate of participation for attending the workshop.
(The 2021 workshop will follow a similar schedule)
- 10AM: Introduction to Concrete (Ken Hover)
- 11AM: Active Learning in the Virtual Classroom (Chris Carroll)
- 1PM: Resources for Teaching (in the virtual classroom)
- 2PM: Models for Teaching Structural Concrete (Chris Carroll)
- 10AM: Concrete Repair (David Scott)
- 11AM: Pavements – What to Teach and How (Norb Delatte)
- 1PM: Fresh Concrete Properties, Placing and Finishing Concrete (Ken Hover)
- 2PM: Online Teaching (panel session with Jason Ideker, Oregon State; Andrea Schokker, University of Minnesota, Duluth; Kimberly Kurtis, Georgia Institute of
Technology; Trey Hamilton, ACI Staff)
- 10AM: ACI 318-19 in the Classroom (ACI Staff)
- 11AM: Hardened Properties and Durability (Jason Ideker)
- 1PM: CRSI Capstone Course (including discussion of different approaches to capstone) (David Fanella)
- 2PM: Breakout session: Strategies for assessments and lab content delivered on-line (Jason Ideker)