The objective of this competition is to demonstrate the behavior of fiber reinforcement within concrete, to gain experience in forming and fabricating a fiber-reinforced concrete element, and to encourage creativity with compliance in engineering design and analysis. The competition will take place on March 29, 2020 at the Hyatt O’Hare Regency in Rosemont, IL, USA. The deadline to register is February 13, 2020.
This webinar will provide an overview of the rules and registration process for the upcoming competition and address frequently asked questions.
Important Messages and Updates
Sina Mehdinia, Portland State University, is the winner of the 2019 James Instrument Student Award for Research in NDT (Nondestructive Testing) of Concrete. He will receive a $1500 cash prize and free registration to the Spring 2020 ACI Concrete Convention.
Congratulations to the teams from Middle Tennessee State University (1st Place); Howard University (2nd Place); and Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León (3rd Place), who will receive cash prizes and free registration to the Spring 2020 ACI Concrete Convention.
General Competition Information:
General Competition Information:
- All submissions should be in the English language.
- All student competitions require that each team consisting of at least two and no more than five students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at a college or university worldwide.
- Undergraduate students on cooperative or internship work assignment are eligible to compete.
- Although there are no restrictions on the geographical location of the school, all members of a given team must be from the same school.
- A student may not be a member of more than one team for any competition.
- A faculty member is permitted to advise more than one team. —Posted 5/2/2005
- All international students must submit a valid passport number when requesting invitation letters from ACI; only preregistered teams with accurate passport numbers will receive an invitation letter.
- Final participation is only allowed pending FBI clearing and verification.
- Accurate spelling of all team members' names and faculty advisor's name must be verified before submitting the advance registration forms.
- Visa letters will only be created once, that information is taken directly from advance registration forms.
- Invitation letters will be sent via email only, we are not at liberty to fax anything to the U.S. embassies or to airmail them to you.
- Accurate email addresses are required for faculty advisors, teams without them will be disqualified and will not receive an invitation letter.
- Registration and requests for invitation letters MUST be done by the faculty advisor for each student team.
- All registrations that are submitted by students will be deemed null and void. —Posted 5/2/2005
- ACI will not accept specimens in advance. All teams wishing to participate must hand deliver their specimens directly to the competition location. The individual bringing the specimen does not have to be a team member. —Posted 5/2/2005
- The United States Treasury Department enforces through its Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations regarding transactions between U.S. and Iranian companies, universities, and individuals. Based on ACI's review of these regulations, Iranian students are currently not eligible to participate in the ACI Student Competitions. While, these regulations are ambiguous, clarification of the regulations has been requested. As of September 23, 2005, the Department of Treasury has not made a determination on ACI's inquiry. Substantial financial penalties for violating these regulations could be assessed unless a favorable ruling is received, Iranian students will not be eligible to participate in any ACI student competitions pending resolution of this inquiry. We sincerely regret having to take this position and will post more information to this page immediately if anything changes. It is our hope that the U.S. Treasury Department will issue a favorable interpretation and that Iranian teams will be eligible to participate in future ACI student competitions. —Updated 09/30/2005
- The Letter of Verification must provide proof of the Team Members and Faculty Advisor of their student/faculty status. A statement should be provided by one of the school officials on university/school letterhead. Please upload the letter to your registration file or email it to ACI Headquarters (via firstname.lastname@example.org) on/or before the advanced registration deadline.
- Response to Inquiries: before sending any inquiries related to the competition, students are asked to:
- For technical questions regarding a competition, visit the FAQ page of that competition one week after you send the question for replies.
- Supplemental Compensation, Recognition, and Awards:
Student Competition Questions
American Concrete Institute
38800 Country Club Drive
Farmington Hills, MI 48331