Entries and Eligibility
2023 Call for Entries is Open
The Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards honors exceptional concrete construction from around the world. Projects are recognized for the degree of innovation, complexity, achievement, and value that concrete as a material provided.
Recently completed and nominated concrete projects are juried by an independent panel of industry professionals for first- and second-place category awards. Only one project will stand out by receiving the overall Excellence Award on Monday evening during the fall ACI Concrete Convention.
Submission deadline is April 29, 2023.
There are three ways to be eligible to enter:
- The project has won an ACI chapter award or is nominated by an ACI chapter.
- The project is nominated by an ACI international partner.
- If an ACI chapter award program is not available in your area, you may self-nominate by paying a non-refundable $500 nomination fee.
The nominated project must consist of new construction substantially completed within 36 months of the submission deadline.
Nominations are accepted in the following categories:
- Low-Rise Structures: Up to three stories residential (multi-family and houses), school, commercial, warehouse and industrial, etc.
- Mid-Rise Structures: Four to fifteen stories
- High-Rise Structures: More than fifteen stories
- Decorative: Decorative or architectural feature or element such as exterior or interior finishes, hardscapes, ornamentation, stained, stamped, or polished concrete, art installations, etc.
- Flatwork: Pavements, parking lots, runways, commercial/industrial floors, etc.
- Infrastructure: Bridges, site structures, water resource structures, marine structures, other structures, etc.
- Repair and Restoration: overlays, rehabilitation, remodel, retrofitting, etc.
- Only online nomination form will be accepted.
- Entry must highlight new construction substantially completed within 36 months of the submission deadline.
- Entry must highlight innovative use of concrete as a principal construction element.
- Entry must demonstrate creativity and innovation in the application of concrete technology.
- A project can only be nominated in one category.
- A minimum of four to eight photos are required per nomination. Nomination may include a 90-second time lapse video. No animations will be accepted. Concrete and construction should be featured in some of the photos.
Judging is conducted by a panel of qualified concrete and construction professionals with technical expertise in each award category, as well as domestic and international project experience. Nominated projects will be judged on the following:
- Architectural merit
- Engineering merit
- Innovative construction techniques or solutions
- Innovative use of materials
- Sustainability and resilience
- Functionality and end-use suitability
Provide a detailed project description in 300 words or fewer. This information will be judged and used in program and communication materials.
IMPORTANT: the information you provide will be published as entered. ACI is not responsible for errors and omissions made by the project’s representative.
Provide a 500-word (or fewer) description of how concrete was featured in the project. It should also cover the complexity and uniqueness of the project and might include information such as:
- Special features of the concrete
- Degree of difficulty
- Project challenges
- Problem solving
- Ecological and environmental factors
Interested in submitting a project?
Contact your local ACI chapter or international partner for nomination (www.concrete.org/chapters/chapterlisting.aspx) or email Esther.Beery@concrete.org for self-nomination ($500 fee).
Questions? Contact Esther Beery at Esther.Beery@concrete.org for application details.
View an award winning entry.