ACI-James Instruments Student Award for Research on NDT of Concrete
Applications are invited for the 2022 ACI-James Instruments Student Award for Research on NDT of Concrete for original research on nondestructive testing of concrete. The award is sponsored by James Instruments, Inc., a Chicago-based manufacturer and distributor of NDT systems, and it will be given by ACI Committee 228, Nondestructive Testing.
- Cash prize: $1,500
- Certificate provided by ACI Headquarters.
- Free Spring Convention Registration
- To stimulate student interest in the area of nondestructive testing (NDT) of concrete materials and structures.
- To recognize meritorious and innovative research in concrete and concrete materials using NDT methods.
- To publicize the field of NDT and the work of ACI Committee 228.
- To recognize the support given by the sponsor to students working on NDT research.
- The research work shall have been performed by a student while enrolled in a degree program (graduate or undergraduate) at an accredited institution of higher education.
- The research should be on a topic related to nondestructive testing of concrete. Research must focus on or possibly lay the foundation for the development of an NDT method for concrete.
- The applicant need not be enrolled at time of submission, but the work must have been performed (completed) within two years of the date of submission.
- Work shall be both original and innovative.
- The submission consists of a technical paper conforming to the style and standards of the ACI Journal. The student shall be the primary author of the paper.
- The student must have an ACI Student Membership. The faculty advisor must also be a member of the ACI Faculty Network.
Submission of application
Papers must be submitted to Dirk Heidbrink by December 2, 2022. The paper shall be submitted via email in PDF format. In order for judging to remain as impartial as possible, the applicant is asked to remove any and all references to author's names, school affiliations, and acknowledgements of assistance or sponsorship from their paper. If the paper does not meet the requirements of the competition, it will be removed. Contact information for the student and student's advisor shall be provided in the accompanying email transmittal. The award will be presented at the Spring 2023 ACI Concrete Convention in San Francisco, CA. The winner will be invited to present their findings at the Research in Progress session and at the ACI 228 committee meeting.
For questions regarding the 2022 ACI-James Instrument Student Award for Research on NDT of Concrete, or to submit your paper, contact:
- F. Dirk Heidbrink
- Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- 330 Pfingsten Rd Northbrook, IL 60062
- e-mail: FHeidbrink@wje.com