The contents of this course include two recorded presentations from the ACI 2014 Spring Convention:
• Overview of ACI 350.5, Specifications for Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures by Charles S. Hanskat, Executive Director/Technical Director at American Shotcrete Association, Farmington Hills, MI
• Durability and Joints by Kyle S. Loyd, Vice President—Waterproofing, Sika Greenstreak, Saint Louis, MO
• External Prestressed Wrapped Tanks by Daniel J. McCarthy, VP Engineering & Construction Performance, Preload Inc., Hauppauge, NY
INSTRUCTIONS: Read and study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.1 CEU (equivalent to 1.0 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.1 CEU (1 PDH)
Access Period: 30 days
The objective of this course is to provide an overview and details of ACI 350.5-12, “Specifications for Environmental Concrete Structures.” This specification is a reference specification that the Architect/Engineer can apply to a construction project by citing it in the project specifications. The presentations included in this course cover topics such as materials and proportioning of concrete; reinforcement and prestressing; production, placing, finishing, and curing of concrete; formwork design and construction; and shotcrete. This course further discusses two interesting sections in ACI 350.5, Section 4, “Joints and Accessories,” and Section 10, “External Prestressed Wrapped Concrete Tanks.” Both sections discuss critical measures and provide examples (large precast core-wall circular tank) of the design of leak-proof environmental concrete structures.
Publication Year: 2016
Categories: Environmental, Specifications
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
1. Understand why ACI 350.5-12, “Specifications for Environmental Concrete Structures,” is better suited for specifying liquid-containing concrete structures than ACI 301-10, “Specification for Structural Concrete”.
2. Recognize four different waterproofing products used to detail and construct leak-proof joints for environmental concrete structures and tanks.
3. Identify two methods to construct external prestressed wrapped circular concrete tank core walls: one using cast-in-place concrete and the other using shotcrete with steel diaphragm.
4. Describe the construction process to construct a large liquid-containing circular concrete tank slab, precast concrete walls, and concrete dome structure using ACI 350.5-12.
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).