The contents of this course include 4 recorded presentations from the ACI 2022 Fall Convention:
1. Lessons Learned from Condition Evaluation of UHPC Overlays; Andrew Foden, WSP
2. A Durability Study of FRC in Bridge Deck Applications; Carl Labbe, Sika
3. Performance Evaluation of Polymer Concrete Overlays; Mohamed ElBatanouny, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
4. In-Situ Examination of GFRP Bars in Bridge Decks after Two Decades of Field Exposure: How Durable Are They?; John Myers, Missouri S&T
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.1 CEU (equivalent to 1.0 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.1 CEU (1.0 PDH)
Approved AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
Given the increased use of non-traditional materials in the construction and repair of bridges and bridge elements, there is an increased need to develop reliable destructive and non-destructive evaluation methods and techniques to assess their in-service performance. Examples of non-traditional materials include, but are not limited to, fiber-reinforced polymer reinforcement, and ultra-high performance concrete materials. This session will bring to light industry experience in the evaluation techniques and discuss the challenges associated with the assessment of non-traditional materials and current field results. The session will aim to share field experiences and critical information to those involved in the design, evaluation, and inspection of bridges.
Author: Foden, Labbe, ElBatanouny, Myers
Publication Year: 2023
Categories: Design, Durability, High Performance Concrete, Materials
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
• Discuss the on-site testing programs and overall evaluation of the bond strength performance between newly placed UHPC overlays and existing bridge deck base material in the case studies.
• Discuss improvements in durability and toughness with placing fiber reinforced concrete (FRC) overlays on bridge decks or full depth FRC bridge decks and the advantages that different types of steel and synthetic produce in the finished bridge deck.
• Explain successful results of resurfacing and repairing damaged plus 50- year-old concrete bridge decks with polymer polyester concrete (PPC) overlay and patching methods.
• Recall the 20-year period performance of fiber reinforced polymer reinforcing bars placed in many bridge decks, including core test results showing the durability of GFRP rebars in the reinforced bridge decks.
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).