The contents of this course include three recorded presentations from the ACI 2023 Spring Convention.
• When It Rains, Should I Pour?, by North S.Tarr Concrete Consulting, P.C.
• Concrete in Adverse Weather, by Kenneth Hover, Cornell University
• Unhappy Concrete: Real-World Examples of Concreting in Tough Conditions Around the Globe, by Lawrence Taber, Black & Veatch
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.2 CEU (equivalent to 2.0 PDH).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.2 CEU (2.0 PDH)
Approved by AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
Presentations are solicited to share a holistic approach to concrete construction with respect to planning, placing, protecting, and curing concrete elements in adverse weather and environmental conditions – especially in consideration of sustainability. The main objective of this course is to present a practitioner’s perspective on issues related to properly protecting and curing concrete. By attending this course, attendees will learn how adverse conditions impact the durability and life-cycle of concrete and the importance of proper planning, placing, protecting, and curing. Presenters will share updates on committee standards and discuss strategies to produce quality concrete in adverse conditions common to the construction industry.
Table of Contents
1. Understand both risks and opportunities when placing and curing concrete in wet weather conditions, learn when rain will impact your placement negatively and, more importantly, when it won't.
2. Review various factors that will affect a concrete placement and learn when, and when not to, be concerned about specific factors for a successful outcome.
3. Learn how contractors around the world overcome the challenges of adverse conditions to make concrete placements. To be successful, contractors must plan ahead and know local conditions that may impact concrete placement and curing.
4. Gain a wholistic perspective on planning, placing, protecting and curing durable concrete. Learn practical tools and insights to make well-reasoned decisions regarding when to pour and how to protect and cure concrete for a successful project.
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).