The contents of this course include three recorded presentations from the ACI 2017 Spring Convention:
• Introduction to ACI 122R-14- Guide to Thermal Properties of Concrete and Masonry Systems by Jeffrey F. Speck, Trinity Lightweight
• Complying with the Energy Codes by Nicholas R. Lang, National Concrete Masonry Association
• New Standards Needed for Alternative Energy Code Compliance by Stephen Szoke, American Concrete Institute
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.1 CEU (equivalent to 1.0 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.1 CEU (1.0 PDH)
Approved by AIA (LU/HSW) and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
Table of Contents
1. Describe important thermal characteristics of concrete and masonry walls using the updated ACI 122R-14 Guide to Thermal Properties of Concrete and Masonry Systems, including: equations to calculate thermal conductivity, methods to calculate thermal resistance, factors affecting thermal inertia, and methods to control condensation.
2. Explain the options in building codes, including the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), in adopting and complying with thermal energy code compliances for concrete and masonry building wall and floor system designs.
3. Describe the thermal conductivity properties from studies of different cementitious concrete building materials including: normal weight portland cement (NWPC); ultra-high-strength portland cement concrete (UHPC); and ultra-lightweight cementitious composite (ULCC)
4. Identify, compare, and contrast thermal energy efficiencies of alternative building framing system designs – concrete frame, combined concrete and steel frame, and wood frame buildings.
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).