A Masonry Laboratory Testing Technician is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to perform laboratory procedures required for preparation and testing of masonry construction-related materials including brick, structural clay tile, concrete masonry units, prisms, mortars, and grouts.
Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires a working knowledge of laboratory procedures selected from the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C90—Loadbearing Concrete Masonry Units
- C140/C140M—Sampling and Testing Concrete Masonry Units and Related Units
- C270—Mortar for Unit Masonry
- C780 and C780 Annex—Preconstruction and Construction Evaluation of Mortars for Plain and Reinforced Unit Masonry
- C1019—Sampling and Testing Grout
- C1314—Compressive Strength of Masonry Prisms
- C1552—Capping Concrete Masonry Units, Related Units and Masonry Prisms for Compression Testing
This program requires demonstration of the knowledge and hands-on skills covered on the Job Task Analysis (JTA):
JTA for ACI Masonry Laboratory Testing Technician Certification
The JTA is a detailed list of specific points of knowledge and skills that may be included in the examinations for this ACI Certification program. ACI urges candidates to use the JTA to prepare for the certification exams.
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; AND
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-and-a-half hour written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 70 multiple-choice questions. There are between 8 and 12 questions on each of the ASTM test methods and practices. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is closed-book and requires actual demonstration of select field procedures described in ASTM test methods C140/C140M, C780, C1019, and C1552. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform (or describe, where allowed) required steps for each procedure.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Go to the ACI Bookstore on this website to order and/or obtain current pricing on any items listed below:
CP–72, 1st Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Masonry Laboratory Testing Technician
A study guide for examinees, this workbook provides information and instructional material on the required ASTM testing procedures for the Masonry Laboratory Testing Technician program. ASTM Standards included are: C90, C140/C140M, C270, C780, C1019, C1314, and C1552. Also included are supplemental ASTM resources C39/C39M, C109/C109M, and C617/C617M, as well as selected NCMA TEK Notes, study questions, and sample checklists.