A Masonry Field Testing Technician is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to perform sample preparation and testing of masonry construction-related materials—including materials for brick, structural clay tile, concrete masonry units, prisms, mortars, and grouts—in the field.
Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires a working knowledge of field procedures selected from the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C67—Sampling and Testing Brick and Structural Clay Tile
- C140/C140M—Sampling and Testing Concrete Masonry Units and Related Units
- C780 and C780 Annex—Preconstruction and Construction Evaluation of Mortars for Plain and Reinforced Unit Masonry
- C1019—Sampling and Testing Grout
- C1314—Compressive Strength of Masonry Prisms
Job Task Analysis (JTA) for ACI Masonry Field Testing Technician Certification
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; AND
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-hour written examination is closed-book and consists of approximately 60 multiple-choice questions. There are between eight and 12 questions on each of the ASTM test methods and practices. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is also closed-book and requires actual demonstration of select field procedures described in ASTM test methods C140/C140M, C780, and C1019. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform (or describe, where allowed) required steps for each procedure.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Go to the ACI Bookstore on this website to order and/or obtain current pricing on any items listed below:
CP–70(16): Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Masonry Field Testing Technician and Masonry Laboratory Testing Technician
A study guide for examinees, this workbook provides information and instructional material on the required ASTM testing procedures for both the Field and Laboratory Testing Technician programs. ASTM standards included are: C67, C90, C140/C140M, C270, C780, C1019, C1314, and C1552. Also included are supplemental ASTM resources C39/C39M, C109/C109M, C143/C143M, C617/C617M, and C1064/C1064M, as well as selected NCMA TEK Notes, study questions, and sample checklists.