A Concrete Quality Technical Manager is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and experience necessary to supervise an effective concrete quality control/quality assurance program and perform duties on behalf of the Architect/Engineer in technical matters pertaining to the concrete used in a project.
An Associate Concrete Quality Technical Manager is an individual who is knowledgeable about concrete quality control/quality assurance, but does not have the experience required to qualify as a Concrete Quality Technical Manager.
For Concrete Quality Technical Manager, ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who:
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI written examination, and
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI practical application examination, and
- Have passed at one time the written examinations for:
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I, and
- ACI Concrete Strength Testing Technician, and
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Associate or Advanced Concrete Flatwork Finisher, and
- Possess at least one of the following qualifications:
- Professional Engineer and 3 years applicable experience, or
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Math, Physics, or Construction Management and 4 years applicable experience, or
- Associates Degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or Construction Management and 5 years applicable experience, or
- 6 years applicable experience.
The applicable experience for CQTM must include all of the following:
- Decision making authority and responsibility
- Verification of compliance with plans, specifications, and codes
- Knowledge in administration of a concrete QA/QC plan
- Documentation and reporting of test results
- Proficiency in preparation of concrete mix proportions
- Proficiency in evaluation of concrete and concrete materials test reports and documents.
Verification of the amount and range of work experience by the applicant's employer(s) is required.
The four-hour written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 100 multiple-choice questions. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The two-hour practical application examination is open-book and consists of approximately 25 multiple-choice questions. The minimum passing grade for the examination is 70%.
For Associate Concrete Quality Technical Manager, ACI will grant Associate-level certification to those applicants who have passed both the written and practical CQTM examinations and at one time passed the ACI Field Technician, Strength Technician, and Flatwork Technician written examinations. Individuals with Associate certification can upgrade to full CQTM status upon submittal and approval of sufficient education/work experience.
Certification is valid for a period of five years from the date of successfully completing all requirements.
Recertification requires either successful completion of the written and practical application examinations or fulfilling continuing education requirements as follows:
To maintain certification via continuing education, the CQTM or Associate CQTM must complete 40 Professional Development Hours (PDH) of concrete-related continuing education every 5 years. The CQTM or Associate CQTM is responsible for maintaining documentation of PDH activities and submitting the PDH summary form with the renewal form available through the links at the bottom of this page. PDH activity may be subject to audit with documentation maintained for a period of 6 years. PDH programs may include e-learning, seminars, convention sessions, concrete or engineering-related college or university-sponsored courses and certification programs.
Recertification—Professional Development Verification and Payment Form