The contents of this course include five recorded presentations from the ACI 2021 Spring Convention:
• Introduction to ACI 515.3R: Guide for Assessment and Surface Preparation for Application Systems for Concrete; Adrienne Larson and Brian Calderone, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
• Approach for Evaluating a Project Prior to Application of Surface Preparation; Pete Barlow, Contech Services, Inc.
• Surface Preparation Methods; Fred Goodwin
• Concerns about Moisture in Concrete Prior to Application of a Protection System; Brent Rollins, Spray-Lock Concrete Protection
• How to Tell if your Surface is Ready; Brian Pulver, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
• INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.20 CEU (equivalent to 2.00 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.20 CEU (2.00 PDH)
Approved AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
This session is intended to present ACI Committee 515's recently published document, “Guide for Assessment and Surface Preparation for Application of Protection Systems for Concrete”. The session will present various assessment and in-place testing, various surface preparation methods, and evaluation methods following the completion of surface preparation. The benefits and potential issues with various surface preparation methods will be addressed. Best practices and case studies will also be presented. The session is intended for all conference attendees, including engineers, contractors, manufacturers, and students.
Author: Calderone, Barlow, Goodwin, Rollins, Pulver
Publication Year: 2022
Categories: Coatings, Testing
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
1. Describe various techniques and tests to assess existing surface conditions.
2. Describe various surface preparation procedures and equipment needed to perform surface preparations.
3. Recall tests used to evaluate surface preparation prior to installation of a protection system.
4. Identify surface conditions that may reduce or limit the adhesion and performance of a protection system.
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).