The contents of this course include 4 recorded presentations from the ACI 2021 Fall Convention:
1. Stepped Beam with Multiple Load Combinations; Adam Lubell, Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.
2. Design of Knee Joints with Curved-Bar Nodes Using ACI 318-19; Christopher Williams, Purdue University
3. Practical Design Example: Strut-and-Tie Modeling of a Spread Footing; Jeffrey Rautenberg, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
4. Deep Members with Openings; Daniel Kuchma, Tufts University
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.1 CEU (equivalent to 1.0 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.1 CEU (1.0 PDH)
Approved AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
The Strut-and-Tie Method is an approach to evaluate or design any structural concrete member, or discontinuity region in a member, by modeling the member or region as an idealized truss. The concepts behind the development of the Strut-and-Tie Method (STM) will be presented as well as “What’s New” in the ACI 318-19 code. The session will include the fundamentals of STM as well as practical examples; accordingly, the session is geared toward practitioners and educators who utilize or would like to learn more about the strut and tie provisions in the ACI 318 code.
Author: Kuchma, Rautenberg, Lubell, Williams
Publication Year: 2022
Categories: Design, Joints
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
• Develop the skills to apply the strut-and-tie method in real world engineering applications
• Identify the advantages of utilizing the strut-and-tie method
• Evaluate and interpret the behavior of a structure designed by the strut-and-tie method
• Identify the different types of discontinuity regions
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).