In today’s market, it is imperative to be knowledgeable and have an edge over the competition. ACI members have it…they are engaged, informed, and stay up to date by taking advantage of benefits that ACI membership provides them.
Read more about membership
Become an ACI Member
Founded in 1904 and headquartered in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA, the American Concrete Institute is a leading authority and resource worldwide for the development, dissemination, and adoption of its consensus-based standards, technical resources, educational programs, and proven expertise for individuals and organizations involved in concrete design, construction, and materials, who share a commitment to pursuing the best use of concrete.
ACI World Headquarters
38800 Country Club Dr.
Farmington Hills, MI
ACI Middle East Regional Office
Second Floor, Office # 02.01/07
The Offices 02 Building, One Central
Dubai World Trade Center Complex
Phone: +971.4.516.3208 & 3209
Feedback via Email
Home > Publications > International Concrete Abstracts Portal
The International Concrete Abstracts Portal is an ACI led collaboration with leading technical organizations from within the international concrete industry and offers the most comprehensive collection of published concrete abstracts.
Title: The Temple of Light
Author(s): Allen B. McDaniel
Publication: Journal Proceedings
Appears on pages(s): 397-401
Abstract:Ub June, 1920, at an annual meeting of the followers of the universal Faith of Baha’u’llah (Arabicfor Glory of God), the delegates from the United States and Canada selected a design for their House of Worship to be erected in the villa of Wilmette Ill., on this design the western shore of La ke Michigan. was submitted by Louis Bourgeois in the form of a beautiful plaster model. Twelve years were spent by an advisory committee of engineers and architects in an extended research to determine available materials and methods of construction to practically execute such an unusual and unique design. On the recommendations of this committee, the Temple trustees final authorized construction in two steps; first, the building of a skeleton structure of the general form of the design, and second, the "clothing" of this structure with the ornamentation. Work began in 1921 with the foundations; in 1930 and 1931, the superstructure was erected, On June 6, 1932, the Earey Studio, Washington, D.C., l was awarded the contract for the preparation and application of the exterior ornamentation for the dome of the Temple.
Click here to become an online Journal subscriber