In today’s market, it is imperative to be knowledgeable and have an edge over the competition. ACI members have it…they are engaged, informed, and stay up to date by taking advantage of benefits that ACI membership provides them.
Read more about membership
Become an ACI Member
Founded in 1904 and headquartered in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA, the American Concrete Institute is a leading authority and resource worldwide for the development, dissemination, and adoption of its consensus-based standards, technical resources, educational programs, and proven expertise for individuals and organizations involved in concrete design, construction, and materials, who share a commitment to pursuing the best use of concrete.
American Concrete Institute
38800 Country Club Dr.
Farmington Hills, MI
Feedback via Email
Home > Publications > International Concrete Abstracts Portal
The International Concrete Abstracts Portal is an ACI led collaboration with leading technical organizations from within the international concrete industry and offers the most comprehensive collection of published concrete abstracts.
Title: Effect of Cement Replacements by Fly Ash and Silica Fume on Compressive Strength of Concrete
Author(s): L. V. A. Seshasayi, D. Ramaseshu,
Svnopsis: and R. Shankaraiah
Publication: Special Publication
Appears on pages(s): 581-594
Keywords: compressive strength; fly ash; high performance con-crete;
high strength concrete; silica fume
Abstract:In developed countries use of mineral admixtures such as fly ash, silica fume has already been adopted in making concrete. This includes commercial application on a large scale either for addition or for replacement of cement. In India too such replacements have been readily accepted. With the introduction of ready mixed concrete the process has been accelerated in recent times. An investigation was undertaken to study the effects of fly ash and silica fume in concrete. Compressive strengths at different levels of replacements were found. Silica fume from a local source and fly ash from Ramagundam thermal power station of the State of Andhra Pradesh were used. Maximum size of coarse aggregate was 12.5 mm. Water to cementious materials ratio was 0.32 and aggregate-cementitious materials ratio was 3.2. Cement replacement levels by fly ash were 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 percents and by silica fume were 0,4, 8, 12, and 16 percents. Thus a total of 25 mixtures were studied. Strengths at the ages of 28 days and 56 days were found. The results are presented in tables and figures. It was found that the highest replacement level of 40 % by fly ash and 16 % by silica fume, simultaneously, i.e. a total replacement of cement to the extent of 56 % gave a 10 % increase in the 28-day compressive strength compared to that of control concrete. Maximum increase of 43 % in the 28-day compressive strength was observed at a 32 % level of cement replacement ( 20 % by fly ash and 12 % by silica fume).
Click here to become an online Journal subscriber