For Shotcrete Inspector: ACI will grant certification only to those individuals who:
- Obtain a passing grade on the written examination; and
- Fulfill the requirements in ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I as follows:
- Be currently certified as an ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I
- Have been certified as an ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I at one time
- Pass the current ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I written exam within one year of passing the Inspector exam*.
- Demonstrate satisfactory education and work experience.
Satisfactory work experience must include at least one of the following:
- Testing, inspection, and quality control of shotcrete;
- Supervision of shotcrete construction work;
- Design of shotcrete structures.
Verification of the amount and range of work experience by the applicant's employer(s) is required.
The 90-minute written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 80 multiple-choice questions. The minimum passing grade for the examination is 75%.
Certification is valid for a period of five years from the date of successfully completing all requirements.
For Associate Shotcrete Inspector:
ACI will grant Associate-level certification to those candidates who meet the Field Testing Technician—Grade I requirements and pass the written examination. Certification is valid for a period of five years from the date of successfully completing these requirements.
Individuals with Associate certification can upgrade to full Inspector status upon submittal and approval of sufficient education/work experience. This upgraded certification status will be valid until the end of the original five-year term of Associate certification.
For all levels, recertification requires successful completion of the inspection examination (see item #1, above) plus fulfillment of the Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I requirement (see item #2, above). Re-submission of work experience is not required for recertification.