ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet all of the following requirements:
- Have at least one year (2000 hours) of approved work experience or a combination of work experience and education, AND
- Hold current certification as an ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 1, and
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI written examination, AND
- Successfully complete the ACI performance examination.
The two-hour written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 75 multiple-choice questions. There are between eight and 12 questions on each of the documents.
To pass the written examination, both of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required standards, AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is closed-book and requires actual demonstration of ASTM Practices C192/C192M and C157/C157M. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform all of the required steps for each standard procedure.
Certification is valid for a period of five years from the date of successfully completing all requirements.
Recertification requires fulfillment of the ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 1 requirements and successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.