A Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 2 is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform, record, and report the results of advanced laboratory procedures for aggregates and concrete.
Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires a working knowledge of the following ACI and ASTM documents:
- ACI 214—Evaluation of Strength Test Results of Concrete*
- ACI 211.1—Selecting Proportions for Concrete*
- ASTM C192/C192M—Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Laboratory [This standard also requires the knowledge and ability to perform ASTM C143/C143M (Slump), C173/C173M and C231/C213M (Air Content), C138/C138M (Unit Weight), and C1064/C1064M (Temperature).]
- ASTM C470/C470M—Molds for Forming Concrete Test Cylinders Vertically*
- ASTM C496/C496M—Splitting Tensile Strength of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens*
- ASTM C42/C42M—Obtaining and Testing Drilled Cores and Sawed Beams of Concrete*
- ASTM C157/C157M—Standard Test Method for Length Change of Hardened Hydraulic-Cement Mortar and Concrete
*Written exam only
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet all of the following requirements:
- Have at least one year (2000 hours) of approved work experience or a combination of work experience and education, AND
- Hold current certification as an ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 1, and
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI written examination, AND
- Successfully complete the ACI performance examination.
The two-hour written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 75 multiple-choice questions. There are between eight and 12 questions on each of the documents.
To pass the written examination, both of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required standards, AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is closed-book and requires actual demonstration of ASTM Practices C192/C192M and C157/C157M. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform all of the required steps for each standard procedure.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires fulfillment of the ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 1 requirements and successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Go to the ACI Bookstore on this website to order and/or obtain current pricing on any items listed below:
CP–18(14): Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 2
This workbook contains information about the ACI Concrete Laboratory Testing Technician—Level 2 certification program, study questions, sample checklists, and a practice exam as well as reprints of all of the resource materials referenced by the certification examinations.
CP–18 PACK: Laboratory Technician Study Package
This package consists of the CP–18 Workbook and PCA's Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures. It is designed for the technician who desires a ready reference for basic concrete technology or for the instructor who is assembling a complete course according to the suggested outline contained in the workbook.