Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires a working knowledge of the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C1064/C1064M—Temperature of Freshly Mixed Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C172/C172M—Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete
- C143/C143M—Slump of Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C138/C138M—Density (Unit Weight), Yield, and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- C231/C231M—Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- C173/C173M—Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- C31/C31M—Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
Job Task Analysis (JTA) for ACI Certification of
Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; AND
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-hour written examination is closed-book and consists of 55 multiple-choice questions. There are between five and ten questions on each of the ASTM test methods and practices. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is also "closed book" and requires actual demonstration of six of the required test methods and practices plus a verbal description of Practice C172/C172M (sampling). The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform (or describe, where allowed) all of the required steps for each procedure.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
Go to the ACI Bookstore on this website to order and/or obtain current pricing on any items listed below:
CP–1(17): Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I
A study guide for the examinee, providing information and instructional material on the required ASTM testing procedures. Included ASTM Standards are: C1064/C1064M, C172/C172M, C143/C143M, C138/C138M, C231/C231M, C173/C173M, and C31/C31M. Also included are ACI's Concrete Primer (SP–1), study questions, sample checklists, practice exams, and the Job Task Analysis.
CP–1 PACK 2: Technician Study Package
This package contains all the materials recommended by ACI to prepare the examinee for the training course and examinations. Included are the ACI Technician Workbook (CP–1) and ACI CCS-0: Concrete Fundamentals. It is designed for the technician who wants to know why these tests are conducted as well as how to conduct them.
CP–1S(15): Spanish-Language Version of Technician Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I
A Spanish-language study guide for the examinee, providing information and instructional material on the required ASTM testing procedures. Covered ASTM standards include C1064/C1064M, C172/C172M, C143/C143M, C138/C138M, C231/C231M, C173/C173M, C31/C31M, C29/C29M, and C94/C94M.
eLearning: Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I Certification Training: 6 Courses