An Aggregate Testing Technician—Level 1 is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform, record, and report the results of basic field and laboratory procedures for aggregates.
Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires a working knowledge of the following AASHTO/ASTM standards:
- T 2/D75—Sampling Aggregates
- R 76/C702—Reducing Samples of Aggregate to Testing Size
- T 11/C117—Materials Finer Than 75-µm (No. 200) Sieve in Mineral Aggregates by Washing
- T 27/C136—Sieve Analysis of Fine and Coarse Aggregates
- T 85/C127—Specific Gravity and Absorption of Coarse Aggregate
- T 84/C128—Specific Gravity and Absorption of Fine Aggregate
- T 255/C566—Total Moisture Content of Aggregate by Drying
- T 21/C40—Organic Impurities in Fine Aggregate for Concrete
This program requires demonstration of the knowledge and hands-on skills covered on the Job Task Analysis (JTA):
JTA for ACI Aggregate Testing Technician—Level 1
The JTA is a detailed list of specific points of knowledge and skills that may be included in the examinations for this ACI Certification program. ACI urges candidates to use the JTA to prepare for the certification exams.
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination, and
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The two-hour written examination is open-book and consists of approximately 100 multiple-choice questions. There are 8 to 12 questions on each standard.
To pass the written examination, both of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required standards, and
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is closed-book and requires actual demonstration of the required standards. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform or describe all of the required procedures for each standard.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.