ACI will grant ACI 318-14 Design Professional certification only to those applicants who:
- Obtain a passing grade on the ACI written examination for ACI 318-14 Design Professional, and
- Possess any of the following degrees in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, or Architectural Engineering, attested by the candidate that the program included coursework in concrete design: Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, or Doctor of Philosophy.
The written examination is open-book; examinees are allowed up to two-hours (120 minutes) to complete the exam. The exam consists of approximately 80 multiple-choice questions presented in seven sections, as follows:
- General, Loads, and Analysis (Ch 1-6)
- Member Design (Ch 7-14)
- Joints, Connections, and Anchoring to Concrete (Ch 15-17)
- Seismic Design (Ch 18)
- Material Properties and Durability Requirements (Ch 19-20)
- Toolbox Chapters (Ch 21-25)
- Construction Requirements and Strength Evaluation (Ch 26-27)
To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 50% correct for each of the sections; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
Certification is valid for a period of ten (10) years from the date of successfully completing all requirements.
Recertification requires successful completion of the written exam, as described above. Only one recertification of ACI 318-14 Design Professional certification shall be allowed.