In today’s market, it is imperative to be knowledgeable and have an edge over the competition. ACI members have it…they are engaged, informed, and stay up to date by taking advantage of benefits that ACI membership provides them.
Read more about membership
Become an ACI Member
Founded in 1904 and headquartered in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA, the American Concrete Institute is a leading authority and resource worldwide for the development, dissemination, and adoption of its consensus-based standards, technical resources, educational programs, and proven expertise for individuals and organizations involved in concrete design, construction, and materials, who share a commitment to pursuing the best use of concrete.
American Concrete Institute
38800 Country Club Dr.
Farmington Hills, MI
Feedback via Email
Home > Publications > International Concrete Abstracts Portal
The International Concrete Abstracts Portal is an ACI led collaboration with leading technical organizations from within the international concrete industry and offers the most comprehensive collection of published concrete abstracts.
Title: Lightweight Concrete In Bridges
Author(s): Robert E. Philleo
Publication: Concrete International
Appears on pages(s): 19-22
Abstract:Deck replacement on two pioneer lightweight concrete bridges and the construction fo the world's longest lightweight concrete span are described. Lightweight decks were placed on the two high-level Cape Cod Canal bridges in 1933-35. After 45 years service, the bridges required major rehabilitation or replacement. The decision was to replace them iwht a lightweight concrete-filled steel grid, construction of which would take place during the off-tourist season. The world's longes such span, the Parrott's Ferry Bridge in California, has a total length of 1290 ft (393 m) with a mian span of 640 ft (195 m). It was erected by the cantilever method without using falsework. There were 78 box girder sections each 16.5 ft (5 m) long. Concrete was cast in place and was delivered by pumps which were initially placed on the ground but ultimately on top of each pier.
Click here to become an online Journal subscriber