Green Building Resources
Sustainability Position Statement
The American Concrete Institute seeks to: 1) support the consideration of economic, social, and environmental balance for sustainability criteria in concrete design, materials, and construction; 2) identify and, as appropriate, remove barriers to the adoption of more sustainable concrete practices, technologies, standards, specifications, etc.; and 3) raise the level of awareness and seek support for increased sustainability practices and designs within the concrete industry and beyond.
The Sustainable Concrete Guide—Strategies and Examples
|La Guía de Concreto Sostenible—Estrategias y Ejemplos
Published by U.S. Green Concrete Council
Siendo la primera fuente completa sobre concreto y sostenibilidad, este libro provee un entendimiento profundo sobre estrategias específicas para el mejor uso del concreto en edificaciones verdes de alto desempeño y durables. Incluye casos de estudio, datos y referencias técnicas, así como numerosas prácticas que se pueden implementar de manera inmediata.
The Sustainable Concrete Guide—Applications
Recycled Cementitious Materials
- 232.2R-03, "Use of Fly Ash in Concrete"
- 233R-03, "Slag Cement in Concrete and Mortar"
- 234R-06, "Guide for the Use of Silica Fume in Concrete"
- SP-202, Third CANMET/ACI International Symposium: Sustainable Development of Cement and Concrete
- SP-221, Eighth CANMET/ACI International Conference on Fly Ash, Silica Fume, Slag, and Natural Pozzolans in Concrete
- SP-242, Ninth CANMET/ACI Fly Ash Conference
- 555R-01, "Removal and Reuse of Hardened Concrete"
- SP-219, Recycling Concrete and Other Materials for Sustainable Development
Thermal Mass/Minimizing Energy Use
Water Storage Tanks
- 350-06, "Code Requirements for Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures"
- 350.4R-04, "Design Considerations for Environmental Engineering Concrete"
- 371R-08, "Guide for the Analysis, Design, and Construction of Elevated Concrete and Composite Steel-Concrete Water Storage Tanks"
Continuing Education Resources
ACI offers flexible, online, on-demand eLearning courses to both individuals and corporations (at a discount). Apply earned professional development hours toward maintenance of your AIA, GBCI, or other accreditation. Select eLearning courses include:
- Concrete Sustainability: Basics (late summer 2011)
- Concrete Sustainability: Incorporating Environmental, Social, and Economic Aspects (late summer 2011)
ACI Concrete Sustainability Forum
This annual forum focuses on the development of ISO/TC71/SC8 standards and provides attendees with the knowledge and resources to identify opportunities in their careers, ACI committee work, and work with other organizations to reduce environmental impacts and foster a concrete industry focused on sustainability. Sponsored by ISO/TC71/SC8, Environmental Management for Concrete and Concrete Structures, and ACI Committee 130, Sustainability of Concrete.
- October 15, 2011 – Cincinnati, OH
- October 20, 2012 – Toronto, ON, Canada