The contents of this course include 4 recorded presentations from the ACI 2021 Spring Convention:
1. Strut-and-Tie Fundamentals; Daniel Kuchma, Tufts University
2. Changes in the Strut-and-Tie Method for ACI 318-19; Gary Klein, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
3. Strut-and-Tie Model for Extradosed Cable-Stayed Bridge Diaphragm; Robert Anderson, AECOM
4. Hammerhead Bent Cap: Example using ACI 318-19 Strut and Tie Method; Robin Tuchscherer, Northern Arizona University
INSTRUCTIONS: Study the materials included in this module. Then, complete and pass the corresponding 10-question quiz with a score of 80% or higher to receive a certificate for 0.1 CEU (equivalent to 1.0 PDH). This online course is not approved for credit with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB).
Continuing Education Credit: 0.1 CEU (1.0 PDH)
Approved AIA and ICC
Access Period: 30 days
The Strut-and-Tie Method is an approach to evaluate or design any structural concrete member, or discontinuity region in a member, by modeling the member or region as an idealized truss. The concepts behind the development of the Strut-and-Tie Method (STM) will be presented as well as “What’s New” in the ACI 318-19 code. The session will include the fundamentals of STM as well as practical examples; accordingly, the session is geared toward practitioners and educators who utilize or would like to learn more about the strut-and-tie provisions in the ACI 318 code.
Author: Kuchma, Klein, Anderson, Tuchscherer
Publication Year: 2022
Categories: Design, Shear
Formats: Online Learning
Table of Contents
• Describe the fundamentals of the strut-and-tie method
• Identify the new provisions for strut-and-tie in the ACI 318-19 as well as the latest related research
• Describe the use of strut-and-tie method for bridge applications
• Evaluate the ability of the strut-and-tie method for identifying and providing a suitable internal load path
Any applicable errata are included with individual documents at the time of purchase. Errata are not included for collections or sets of documents such as the ACI Collection. For a listing of and access to all product errata, visit the
Printed / Hard Copy Products: The full and complete returned product will be accepted if returned within 60 days of receipt and in salable condition. A 20% service charge applies. Return shipping fees are the customer’s responsibility.
Electronic /Downloaded Products & Online Learning Courses: These items are not eligible for return.
Subscriptions These items are not eligible for return.
Exchanges: Contact ACI’s Customer Services Department for options (+1.248.848.3800 – ACICustomerService@concrete.org).