This program has been discontinued as of March 2016. See below for more information.*
An ACI Associate Concrete Transportation Construction Inspector is a person who has demonstrated knowledge in concrete inspection methods for transportation projects within a narrower scope than the ACI Concrete Transportation Construction Inspector.
Scope and Knowledge:
The program requires knowledge of concrete construction, including plans reading, formwork installation and removal, reinforcements, embedments, sampling and testing freshly mixed concrete, conveying, placing, consolidation, finishing, jointing curing, and protection.
The technical resource materials used in this program includes the following:
- SP–2—Manual of Concrete Inspection
- ACI Concrete Terminology
- 117—Tolerances for Concrete Construction and Materials
- 213R—Guide for Structural Lightweight-Aggregate Concrete
- 301—Specifications for Structural Concrete
- 304R—Measuring, Mixing, Transporting and Placing Concrete
- 304.2R—Placing Concrete by Pumping Methods
- 305R—Hot Weather Concreting
- 306R—Cold Weather Concreting
- 308R—Curing Concrete
- 309R—Consolidation of Concrete
- 325.9R—Construction of Pavements and Bases
- 347—Formwork for Concrete
- C94/C94M—Specification for Ready-Mixed Concrete
- CRSI Manual of Standard Practice, (MSP)
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who:
- Obtain a passing grade on the written inspection examination; and
- Obtain a passing grade on the written plans reading examination; and
- Fulfill the requirements in ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I as follows:
- Be currently certified as an ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I
- Have been certified as an ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I at one time
- Pass the current ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I written exam within one year of passing the Inspector exam.
If the ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I requirement is not held at
the time of testing for Concrete Construction Special Inspector, the requisite ACI
Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I certification or validation of prior ACI
Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I certification with successful
completion of the current ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I written
examination must be obtained within one year of the first examination passed
for Inspector. Otherwise, the written inspection and plans reading examinations
must be retaken in their entireties.
The 90-minute written inspection examination is open-book and consists of approximately 40 multiple-choice questions. The 30-minute plans reading examination consists of approximately 10 questions and is designed to test the examinee's ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
The minimum passing grade for each examination is 70%.
Recertification is necessary every five years and requires fulfillment of the Field Testing Technician requirements and successful completion of the inspection and plans reading examinations.
*PLEASE NOTE: This program has been discontinued; no participants are being accepted into this program. The description herein remains in-place to provide information regarding the credential, as individuals continue to hold active certifications.
If additional clarification or information is needed, please contact ACI Certification at (248) 848-3790.