www.concreteinternational.com | Ci | MAY 2019 47
0 5 10 15 20 25
Fig. 6: Comparison of measured cv c V A f ′ and ( ) cv c M A a f ′ for walls in
design expression in ACI 318-14, Provision 126.96.36.199, which
is used to avoid shear failure of structural walls at loads before
yielding, provided reliable shear strength estimates, even for
cyclically loaded walls.
While it is impossible to acknowledge every person by name, we thank
all who contributed to the ACI 445B Shear Wall Database and extend
special recognition to Cheng Song, Ying Wang, Shehan Perera, and
Joaquín Ruiz Pinilla for their efforts in adding and vetting database
entries. We also thank Tomomi Suzuki, who helped translate Japanese
documents, and Xilin Lu, Christian Ledezma, Hong-Gun Park, and Jangwoon
Baek, who selflessly provided information about their work. Lastly,
we extend our gratitude to each person who contributed to the SERIES
Wall Database and the BRI Wall Database.
1. Barda, F.; Hanson, J.M.; and Corley, W.G., “Shear Strength
of Low-Rise Walls with Boundary Elements,” Reinforced Concrete
Structures in Seismic Zones, SP-53, N.M. Hawkins and D. Mitchell, eds.,
American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 1977, pp. 149-202.
2. Ruggiero, D.M.; Bentz, E.C.; Calvi, G.M.; and Collins, M.P.,
“Shear Response under Reversed Cyclic Loading,” ACI Structural
Journal, V. 113, No. 6, Nov.-Dec. 2016, pp. 1313-1324.
3. Gulec, C.K.; Whittaker, A.S.; and Stojadinovic, B., “Peak Shear
Strength of Squat Reinforced Concrete Walls with Boundary Barbells
or Flanges,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 106, No. 3, May-June 2009,
4. Gulec, C.K., and Whittaker, A.S., “Empirical Equations for Peak
Shear Strength of Low Aspect Ratio Walls,” ACI Structural Journal,
V. 108, No. 1, Jan.-Feb. 2011, pp. 80-89.
5. Song, C.; Wang, Y.; Puranam, A.; Pujol, S.; and Usta, M.,
ACI 445B Shear Wall Database, Dataset, https://datacenterhub.org/
resources/142. (last accessed May 21, 2017)
6. Usta, M., “Shear Strength of Structural Walls Subjected to Load
Cycles,” MS thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2017, 340 pp.
7. ACI Committee 318, “Building Code Requirements for Structural
Concrete (ACI 318-14) and Commentary (ACI 318R-14),” American
Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 2014, 519 pp.
8. Hognestad, E., “A Study of Combined Bending and Axial Load in
Reinforced Concrete Members,” Bulletin No. 399, University of Illinois,
Engineering Experiment Station, 1951, 128 pp.
9. Pujol, S., “FLECHA: A Macro-Enabled Spreadsheet for
Developing Moment-Curvature Diagrams,” https://datacenterhub.org/
10. Ospina, E.C.; Birkle, G.; and Widianto, “Databank of Concentric
Punching Shear Tests of Two-Way Concrete Slabs without Shear
Reinforcement at Interior Supports,” Structures Congress 2012, Chicago,
IL, 2012, pp. 1814-1832.
11. Graybeal, B., and Davis, M., “Cylinder or Cube: Strength Testing
of 80 to 200 MPa (11.6 to 29 ksi) Ultra-High-Performance Fiber-
Reinforced Concrete,” ACI Materials Journal, V. 105, No. 6, Nov.-Dec.
2008, pp. 603-609.
12. Richter, B.P., “A New Perspective on the Tensile Strength of Lap
Splices in Reinforced Concrete Members,” MS thesis, Purdue University,
West Lafayette, IN, 2012, 187 pp.
13. Antebi, J.; Utku, S.; and Hansen, R.J., “The Response of Shear
Walls to Dynamic Loads,” Technical Report to the Office of the Chief
of Engineers Department of the Army, Contract DA-49-129-Eng-325,
Cambridge, MA, 1960, 296 pp.
14. Hidalgo, P.A.; Ledezma, C.A.; and Jordan, R.M., “Seismic
Behavior of Squat Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls,” Earthquake
Spectra, V. 18, No. 2, May 2002, pp. 287-308.
15. Hirosawa, M., “Past Experimental Results on Reinforced
Concrete Shear Walls and Analysis on Them,” Kenchiku Kenkyu Shiryo,
No. 6, Building Research Institute, Ministry of Construction, Tokyo,
Japan, 1975, 279 pp. (in Japanese)
16. Park, H.; Baek, J.; Lee, J.; and Shin, H., “Cyclic Loading Tests for
Shear Strength of Low-Rise Reinforced Concrete Walls with Grade 550
MPa Bars,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 112, No. 3, May-June 2015,
17. Shiga, T.; Shibata, A.; and Takahashi, J., “Experimental Study on
Dynamic Properties of Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls,” Proceedings
of the Fifth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, V. 1, Rome,
Italy, 1973, pp. 1157-1166.
18. Shiga, T.; Shibata, A.; and Takahashi, J., “Hysteretic Behavior of
Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls,” Proceedings of the Review Meeting:
US-Japan Cooperative Research Program in Earthquake Engineering
with Emphasis on the Safety of School Buildings, Honolulu, HI, 1975,
19. Teng, S., and Chandra, J., “Cyclic Shear Behavior of High-
Strength Concrete Structural Walls,” ACI Structural Journal, V. 113,
No. 6, Nov.-Dec. 2016, pp. 1335-1345.
Received and reviewed under Institute publication policies.