ACI member Leandro F.M. Sanchez is
an Assistant Professor in the Department
of Civil Engineering at the University
of Ottawa. He is a member of ACI
Committees 201, Durability of Concrete;
211, Proportioning Concrete Mixtures;
221, Aggregates; and 555, Concrete
with Recycled Materials. Sanchez is
also a member of RILEM committees on
alkali-aggregate reaction and recycled
concrete aggregates. His research interests include concrete
durability and assessment and rehabilitation of aging civil
ACI student member Marcelo Terra is
an MS candidate in civil engineering
at the University of Ottawa. His current
research work includes the use of artificial
intelligence to design and appraise
concrete materials. He has over 20 years
of experience in the concrete industry in
Brazil. Terra received his BS in mechanical
engineering from the University of Mogi
das Cruzes, São Paulo, Brazil.
www.concreteinternational.com | Ci | NOVEMBER 2019 39
2. Sanchez, L.F.M.; Fournier, B.; Jolin, M.; and Duchesne, J.,
“Reliable Quantification of AAR Damage Through Assessment of the
Damage Rating Index (DRI),” Cement and Concrete Research, V. 67,
Jan. 2015, pp. 74-92.
3. Grattan-Bellew, P.E.; Mitchell, L.D.; Margeson, J.; and Min, D.,
“Is Alkali-Carbonate Reaction Just a Variant of Alkali-Silica Reaction
ACR = ASR?” Cement and Concrete Research, V. 40, No. 4, Apr. 2010,
4. Grattan-Bellew, P.E., and Danay, A., “Comparison of Laboratory
and Field Evaluation of AAR in Large Dams,” Proceedings of the
International Conference on Concrete AAR in Hydroelectric Plant and
Dams, Frederickton, NB, Canada, 1992.
5. Grattan-Bellew, P.E., and Mitchell, L., “Quantitative Petrographic
Analysis of Concrete—The Damage Rating Index (DRI) Method,”
Proceedings of the Eighth CANMET/ACI International Conference
on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology/Marc-Andre Bérubé
Symposium on Alkali-Aggregate Reactivity in Concrete, Montreal, QC,
Canada, 2006, pp. 321-334.
6. Rivard. P.; Fournier, B.; and Ballivy, G., “Quantitative
Assessment of Concrete Damage Due to Alkali-Silica Reaction (ASR)
by Petrographic Analysis,” 11th International Conference on Alkali-
Aggregate Reaction, Québec City, QC, Canada, 2000, pp. 889-898.
7. Bérubé, M.A.; Smaoui, N.; Fournier, B.; Bissonnette, B.; and
Durand, B., “Evaluation of the Expansion Attained to Date by Concrete
Affected by Alkali-Silica Reaction, Part III: Application to Existing
Structures,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, V. 32, No. 3, Feb.
2011, pp. 463-479.
8. Fournier, B.; Bérubé, M.A.; Folliard, K.J.; and Thomas, M.,
“Report on Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Mitigation of Alkali-Silica
Reaction (ASR) in Transportation Structures,” FHWA-HIF-09-004,
U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration,
Washington, DC, 2010, 147 pp.
9. Sanchez, L.F.M.; Fournier, B.; Jolin, M.; Bedoya, M.A.B.; Bastien,
J.; and Duchesne, J., “Use of Damage Rating Index to Quantify Alkali-
Silica Reaction Damage in Concrete: Fine versus Coarse Aggregate,”
ACI Materials Journal, V. 113, No. 4, July-Aug. 2016, pp. 395-407.
10. Sanchez, L.F.M.; Fournier, B.; Jolin, M.; Mitchell, D.; and
Bastien, J., “Overall Assessment of Alkali-Aggregate Reaction (AAR)
in Concretes Presenting Different Strengths and Incorporating a Wide
Range of Reactive Aggregate Types and Natures,” Cement and Concrete
Research, V. 93, Mar. 2017, pp. 17-31.
11. Sanchez, L.F.M.; Drimalas, T.; Fournier, B.; Mitchell, D.; and
Bastien, J., “Comprehensive Damage Assessment in Concrete Affected
by Different Internal Swelling Reaction (ISR) Mechanisms,” Cement and
Concrete Research, V. 107, May 2018, pp. 284-303.
12. Villeneuve, V., and Fournier, B., “Determination of the Damage
in Concrete Affected by ASR—the Damage Rating Index (DRI),”
14th International Conference on Alkali-Aggregate Reaction in Concrete
(ICAAR), Austin, TX, 2012.
13. Dunbar, P., and Grattan-Bellew, P., “Results of Damage Rating
Evaluation of Condition of Concrete from a Number of Structures
Affected by ASR,” Proceedings of CANMET/ACI International
Workshop on Alkali-Aggregate Reactions in Concrete, Dartmouth, NS,
Canada, 1995, pp. 257-266.
14. Maini, V., and Sabri, S., “Machine Learning for Humans (Part 2.1:
Supervised Learning),” 2017, 97 pp. https://medium.com/machinelearning
15. Unsupervised Learning: Foundations of Neural Computation
(Computational Neuroscience), first edition, G. Hinton and T.J.
Sejnowski, eds., A Bradford Book, 1999, 398 pp.
16. Krizhevsky, A.; Sutskever, I.; and Hinton, G.E., “ImageNet
Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks,” Advances in
Neural Information Processing Systems 25, F. Pereira, C.J.C. Burges, L.
Bottou, and K.Q. Weinberger, eds., 2012, pp. 1097-1105.
17. Ciresan, D.C.; Meier, U.; Masci, J.; Gambardella, L.M.; and
Schmidhuber, J., “Flexible, High Performance Convolutional Neural
Networks for Image Classification,” Proceedings of the Twenty-Second
International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Barcelona,
Catalonia, Spain, V. 2, 2011, pp. 1237-1242.
Selected for reader interest by the editors.
Ci For more information, contact
Jeff Rhodes, VP Sales